Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday, July 1st (Day 6)

2:11 PM
Today's been a wonderful day, but no surprise there. In order to make it to Beaubien in time to help out with a conservation project, we woke up at four forty-five this morning. Ugh... and it was so cold (Mr. Santiago said it was forty degrees). We ate breakfast while the staff member in charge explained what we'd be doing and gave a safety briefing. For about two hours, my group and two other crews worked on thinning out an area of forest to minimize wildfire impact. It was a lot of fun showing those trees who's boss, and playing kickboxing with the stubborn stumps. At the moment, I'm guarding our food bags from the mini-bears (chipmunks) by the Phillips Junction Commissary.
...Oh wow; I just looked up and saw this giant, dark grey storm cloud overhead. It wasn't there five minutes ago....

We got to meet someone from our Troop who was staffing at Beaubien. We had an... interesting conversation with him, then headed off to pick up our food at the Commissary. They had fresh (and cold!) fruit there... I've never had a better orange!

6:41 PM
I don't know what to write this evening.... We're all dog-tired as we're sitting around the campfire (except Mr. York; he's already in bed). It did rain for a little while at PJ's. Since I've got nothin' else to write, I'll jot down some of our favorite jokes and stuff:

Most of these are inside jokes that only people from my crew will get, but I'll put the name of the best person to ask about them next to each one. Or just ask about them below, and I'll fill you in on the fun!

* "A little bit of deo for the B.O.... Pitstick it!" - Daniel
* "And the cheese from the cow I killed last year...." - James
* "Oh crud, oh crud, oh crud..." - Chris, as he tries to get out of the shower before the rain hits.
* "What's goin' on?" - James, to some stunned kid stalled at the latrine.
* "Did you find your wallet?" "Yeah..." "Where did you find it?" " I dunno." " Wait a minute... where'd you find it?" "... In my pocket." - Dakota
* "Josh! You touched the rope! Darn you..." - Christian
* "Swag-asaurus Rex!" (Bam!) - James
* (Gasp) "Keith says NO!" - Anyone
* "Why, you jealous?" - James
* "Where does the sump lead to?" "Down..." - Me
* "Look! I'm doin' the Josh Walk!"
* "Shut up, Foo!" "That's offensive!" - James
* "Run, I'm scared." - James
* Putting up the bear bags on the big slope at Urraca Mesa.
* "SLUGBUG! SLUGBUG!" (Bang!) "OWW!!" - Chris
* Sunbutter... - Daniel
* Taking 'Tang shots' - Dakota
* "You just spilled all your candy; how does that make you feel?!?" - Chris
* "I'm gonna throw your trail mix in the dirt." "What! What!?! No!" - Daniel
* Backpack guy! - Daniel
* "Hey, that Chris kids got swag!" - Chris
* "Amy, I'm so sorry!" - Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment