Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thursday, July 8th (Day 13)

((Okay, I know it's been forever since I posted last, but I'm gonna finish tonight! Our troop is already starting to plan for our trek in 2012, so I'm feeling all nostalgic.))

11:59 PM
As you can tell from the time that I'm writing this, today's been really long. We left Philmont at eight forty-five this morning, and we all cried (well, not really). Before we left, I thought to snap one last picture of the Tooth of Time over Base Camp on my phone, and of course, it's now my background picture. We stopped for lunch at Burger King, where I got a Texas Double Whopper with bacon, jalapenos, and two slabs of meat. It was dripping grease, and I loved it! And the french fries were really good, too. We drove somewhere between five and six hours today. We're staying the night at a Methodist church in Amarillo with a gym. We played dodgeball until we left for Golden Corral. As luck would have it, they didn't have ANY smoked sausage! Everything they did have was really good, though. After we ate (and got our Philmont Patches!!!) we went to the Texas play at Palo Duro Canyon in Amarillo. I saw it before, when I came to Amarillo on a school trip after fifth grade, but I didn't remember it well. It was really neat; it was a musical about Texas Panhandle history, with some cool special effects. We ended up seeing those fireworks we missed on the fourth, too. Anyways, we are now back in the church, getting to sleep. Tomorrow, we go home.

I'd wanted that smoked sausage so bad, too.... As you might imagine, Chris was equally annoying on the ride home. And we slept a lot.

...Well, this is the last post in my journal. (I can't believe I waited four months to put up just one more, but oh well.) Even six months after the trip, I can still say without a doubt that this was the best two weeks of my life. As I mentioned at the beginning, our troop is already planning for 2012. While I don't think I'll be able to go as a camper then, I'm already applying for a staff position there. Though quite honestly, I don't know how I'll stand the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment