Thursday, May 3, 2012

Philmont or Bust!

Today, I received some of the best news that any scouter can ever hope to hear: I've been hired as Philmont Staff for the Summer season of 2012. I really feel like I should share the rest of the story that led up to this dream-come-true phone call. Yep, that's right, there's a story.

I submitted my application to work at Philmont Scout Ranch in March of 2011 - so early that they thought I was applying for that year's camping season. I was even contacted about a last-minute Base Camp maintenance position, but wasn't able to accept it due to prior arrangements and upcoming college plans. I'd often worried that I'd foolishly passed up my one and only chance. As fall approached, I headed off to Texas A&M University in College Station (Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015! Whoop!), and kept in touch with Philmont hiring staff somewhat frequently. I sent updated applications, called to ask about the status of the hiring process, and answer any questions they might have for me. Things were looking good. I had virtually every credential you could ask for without actually having worked there before. But apparently that wasn't enough. I was pretty crushed when I received the email saying:

"We have filled most of our positions for this summer, but will keep your application on file. However, we recommend you begin looking for other job options."

At that point, I was pretty much resigned to returning to my old job at a local department store back home. But then today, I got a call. The Base Camp Grounds Crew position (or... whatever they call it...) may not be as glamorous as being a Ranger, or the Miner's Park climbing director, but nothing can take away from the fact that I'll be getting paid to go to Philmont.

The excitement has been dawning on me all day... I'm goin' back to Philmont! I don't know all the details yet, though I do know that I'll be there for almost my entire summer break. Not that I'm complaining though. I decided that I would pull this ol' blog out from underneath the dust and cobwebs and keep it updated throughout my summer in Scouting Paradise.

1 comment:

  1. Longshot, but Josh, this is Broken, from RAF. Been trying to find a contact for you, wanted to catch up. Found this. Gimme a holler, man. My number is in my RAF sig.

    ReplyDelete